Reports to: Practice Owner
Employee Status: Exempt
Under policy direction from the Practice Owner, the Office manager performs a wide range of difficult to complex administrative activities related to hospitals providing quality patient care and excellent client service, management of finances and accounting, marketing and promotion of services, staffing and human resources, and discretionary activities, that serve to support effective business operations.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Customer service.
- Human resource skill.
- Financial budget management.
- Knowledge of sales and marketing techniques.
- Good communication skills, both written and oral, goal oriented
- Background in managing service oriented operations.
- Ability to plan, organize and effectively present ideas and concepts.
- Ability to take information obtained from clients, staff, and other sources, discern that
which is credible and assess the hospital and its operation objectively.
- Must be able to handle multiple tasks at once, and deal with high levels of stress in an
environment of changing priorities.
Education and Experience:
- College degree preferred, CVPM highly preferred.
- Must have a minimum of 5 years experience in medical care facility operations management with profit and loss and HR responsibility.
- Budget management experience.
- Knowledge of sales and marketing techniques.
- Human resource skills.
- Training and client relations experience.
- Thorough knowledge of the veterinary profession.
- Interview, hire, train, review, schedule, discipline, and discharge practice employees under guidance of Practice Owner.
- Can transfer employees from part-time to full-time staying with controlled payroll budget.
- Dependable attendance is required.
- Any allergies to animals must be controllable through medication.
- Must be able to lift 40 pounds.
- Must be willing to work long or irregular hours under pressure conditions.
- This position requires the ability to walk, bend, stand and reach constantly during a minimum 8-hour day.
- Visual acuity sufficient to maintain accurate records; recognizes people and understands written directions.
- Ability to speak and hear sufficiently to understand, give information in person and over the telephone.
- Fine motor skills adequate for utilizing office equipment such as facsimile machines, copiers and computer keyboards.
The following is a list of essential job requirements. This list may be revised at any time and additional duties not listed here may be assigned as needed. Job Functions and Job Responsibilities include overseeing that the following occur within the hospitals.
Staff Management –
- Hiring with appropriate references, under direction of Practice Owner.
- Staff performance and salary reviews, disciplinary action, terminations, under direction of Practice Owner.
- Training, education, developing of staff
- Assign job responsibility to each staff member.
- Supervise staff to assure that each job is being effectively handled.
- Employee policy enforcement.
- Employee relations and communications.
- Payroll calculations, payroll deductions, goal calculations, time clock maintenance.
- Organize and conduct staff meetings.
- Monitor employee competence and effectiveness.
- Oversees training of all staff in accordance to the practice standards and that the above is known and practiced by all.
- Oversee client flow to ensure that clients and patients are seen and treated in a professional, timely and competent manner.
- Responsible for administration and review of non-medical client complaints.
- Oversee call back system including overdue reminder calls.
- Oversee collections and returned checks.
- Oversee billing, calculation of any discounts and other special accounts.
- Modify and update systems and procedures wherever needed to better serve clients, patients, the practice and employees (i.e., modify schedules for the most productive use of time).
- Verify receipt of all supplies, mark invoices and packing slips received and provide to owner.
- Enter all practice A/P transactions and deposits into QB
- Reconcile QB at the end of each month
- Reconcile credit card transactions at the beginning of each month
- Prepare packets of daily financial information for the practice owner
- Sort and process the daily mail.
- Practice Owner feedback reports – bi weekly.
- Perform transaction corrections.
- Make certain bank deposits are made daily.
- Ensure that the OSHA and Safety program and procedures are being continuously
monitored, updated and reported so the hospitals are in safety compliance.
- Meet with the Practice Owner regularly to discuss, evaluate and plan for the welfare of the practice.
- Ensure that marketing events are effective – internal and external.
- Motivate staff.
- Check all transactions for accuracy and missed services through regular daily audits.
- Oversee that records are kept up to date. This includes client records with correct names, addresses, pets, charges, medical history, vaccine status, medications administered, laboratory reports, etc.
- Ensure that system of pulling charts, authorization forms for boarding, grooming, surgery, laboratory, x-ray, euthanasia, etc., callbacks, client cards and filing is in place and all receptionists are in compliance.
- Responsible for follow-up and corrections on reminder cards, statements and any other returned mailings.
- Monitor the cost of purchasing so the practice operates within budget.
- Monitor staff scheduling so the practice operates within budget.
- Monitor and approve all expenditures within guidelines.
- Review the income statements and other financial data to find ways to improve revenues and profit margins.
- Oversee petty cash control and all other accounting functions established.
- Review charges on a daily basis to ensure that all charges have been captured.
- Responsible for cash control in hospitals
- Review accounts receivable and accounts payable to confirm proper and timely process.
- Either directly prepares or supervises the preparation of all business accounting reports and transactions. Audits both the preparer and the hospital personnel performance to assure that proper methods and techniques are being used.
- Periodically reviews fee schedule for services, products, and increases or changes as necessary.
- Reviews and/or purchases supplies and equipment assuring that a periodic review is made to assure that optimal prices are obtained.
- Works with Practice owner to create marketing strategy, assesses success of all current marketing initiatives
- Works closely with the staff to implement marketing initiatives, utilizing training, motivation, and incentives.
- Oversee the maintenance/housekeeping of the hospital for orderliness and cleanliness of both the inside and outside of the building.
- Monitor janitorial responsibilities.
- Schedule doctor meetings.
- Plan hospital management meetings with Practice Owner.
- Organize monthly staff meeting agenda in conjunction with hospital management team.
- Read and respond to all communication in a timely manner.
- Ensure that policies, guidelines and recommendations are quickly communicated to
hospital staff and adequate training follows.